The Family Promise support system in each community includes two kinds of faith based affiliates:
A host congregation, which as the name indicates, takes turns hosting guest families in their facility, providing overnight accommodations and meals one week at a time.
Support congregations provide support to host congregations with staffing and meals during their host weeks.
Congregations can take on additional roles within the network, depending on the type of involvement they choose. Some examples of these include the following:
- Offer space on a short-term basis in the congregation’s day-care facility for pre-school children of guest families while their parents apply to agencies that provide financial assistance for such child care.
- Commit to monthly, annual or other periodic financial donations to support the Family Promise mission.
- Conduct fund-raising efforts to benefit Family Promise.
- Collect household items such as paper goods and dishwashing detergent for use at our Day Center, where families who are seeking work and child care stay during the day, and for distribution to families in our Permanent Supportive Housing Program.
- Recruit volunteers from within the congregation to assist in the Family Promise office and Day Center, help with maintenance and transportation or assist families with professional services.